I didn’t have tarragon on hand for this recipe but I did have another mild leafy green… basil. And holy moly it worked! I mean, it really worked. I had to put the spoon in the dishwasher to keep myself from eating it straight so, yea…
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp white wine
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 6 oz unsalted butter, melted and hot
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and pepper
- Small sauce pan
- Blender or small food processor (I use this)
- Put the vinegar, white wine, garlic, 1 tablespoon basil leaves, pinch salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is reduced by half. Allow to cool slightly.
- Heat up your butter in the microwave until melted (about 30-45 seconds)
- Place the mixture (strained) with the egg yolk and and a generous pinch of salt in the jar of a small food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Slowly add your butter and blend – start with a teaspoon and then add a tablespoon at a time until the mixture emulsifies and becomes thick.
- Add your remaining basil and blend for a moment only to combine (a few seconds). Taste test for seasoning and serve at room temperature with steak, chicken, fish, veggies… all the things. But don’t be like me and eat it by the spoonful. Or do. I promise not to judge.