I was really craving some Italian food the other night and one of my most favorite dishes is sausage, peppers, and onions. Why couldn’t it be keto? It’s savory and delicious and a fast and easy crowd pleaser. Sometimes restaurants serve this up as an appetizer. I find it super filling and satisfying to star on it’s own for lunch or dinner. Feel free to go for it either way!
Recipe (Makes 5 Servings)
- 5 link, Mild Italian Sausage (a little over 1 lb)
- 2 medium, yellow onions – diced in large chunks
- 2 TBSP, Champagne Wine Vinegar (Any type of vinegar will do – white wine, red wine, balsamic… feel free to play around)
- 2 tsp., Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp, black pepper
- 3 tbsp, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3 Bell Peppers – diced in large chunks (I used all green but you can use any combination. Red and Green and Yellow would be lovely!)
Instruments Required: Large Saute Pan with Lid
- Set a very large saute pan over medium heat on the stove (if you don’t have one oversized, you’ll need to cook the ingredients in batches). Prepare the sausage by pricking the casings with a knife on all side – about 6 pricks each – to prevent bursting. Add 1 TBSP olive oil to the pan and the sausages. Cook the sausages until browned about 2 minutes each side (they won’t be cooked all the way through and that’s okay). Remove the sausages to a cutting board.
- If you have a very large pan (big enough for all of the onion and peppers to lay flat), add your remaining olive oil and the onions and peppers and saute for a few minutes until the onions get a little translucent and the peppers get a nice sear. If your pan won’t accommodate, do them separately dividing the olive oil for each.
- While the peppers and onions are sweating, cut your sausages in chunks – about 4 pieces per sausage.
- Add the sausage to the peppers and onions and add your vinegar, salt, and pepper. Turn the stove to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sausage is cooked through, shaking and tossing the pan occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate/freeze. Enjoy!
|Calories: 349||Carbs: 14||Fiber: 4||Protein: 17||Fat: 26|
Add Directly into MyFitnessPal: